Old whatshername.

A few of my friends are expecting (babies, for those of you living the life i dream of) and have been recently revealing their chosen names.

What's in a name? I wrote a whole college essay about mine.

I was named Lilly because my mom liked the flower and my parents didn't want to burden me with some ridiculously traditional Persian name. Or a Persian name that just sucks for an American kid, like Poopak. Yes, that's a name. And yes, I snicker when I say it. I always like to ask people what they were *almost* named. It's like a window into who they could have been. I could have been Roxana (traditional Persian name with very hip 80s twist) or Diana. Blech. I can't imagine being a Diana. She sounds like someone who would tell on you. When I was younger I hated my name. It was a name for other people's dogs and dead grandmas (I have examples for you if necessary). So I decided that my name was going to be, well, Carol. DUH. I found it convenient to name my father Peter (this was during an era when I liked to ignore the existence of my mom). Carol and Peter, together forever.

Later in life I wanted to be named (but note: did not insist on being called, just thought how it would have been nice) Renee, Stacy (you may remember her from Kids Incorporated. I pretty much wanted to be her actually. Little did I know she'd become Fergie.), Maxine, Monique, and Pierre. I managed to be the last two in French class. Take these small victories, I say.

Tonight I was im'ing with Jon, who is reading the Virgin Suicides. And it randomly reminded me that I had wanted to name my kid Lux (one of the characters), but I couldn't for the life of me remember why! Who is this Lux character? And if she was played by Kirsten Dunst in the movie adaptation then shoot me now, my kid must hate me already. I wonder if this happens to other people. Like they name their kid after something and then just can't freakin' remember why. It seems like naming your kids is a cool way to pay tribute to something you like. What a waste to give them a boring name!

Weird things I have wanted to name my kids at various points in my life:

(side note: i don't usually think about this stuff. just like i don't wedding plan, not even in my head and my daydreams. i used to find this a source of pride; i wasn't one of "those" girls. but i read that it's actually a sign of commitmentphobia. oops.)

ahem. The Name List.

1. Lux. reason unknown.
2. Evangeline. a good character in Uncle Tom's Cabin. but in retrospect i think she was a little girl who was dying. but for some reason i remember her being angelic. and the title of a great matthew sweet song.
3. Aiden. I really liked that name after reading Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy. I hereby swear that I will never name my kid after a character in a Chris O'Donnell film. Remember him? Yeah, didn't think so. Exactly.
4. Madonna. reason known but not reiterated here because i can already feel susie starting to type a comment.
5. Mateo. because, like every other persian, i like to pretend i'm really italian.
6. Maradona. because it sounded like Madonna but had an ass-kicking soccer vibe to it too.
7. Milan. after Milan Kundera, my favoritest writer in the whole wide world. but then i realized it's also a polluted industrial city the churns out Prada bags and is probably more explaining than it's worth.
8. Lilly. just kidding. kinda.

Before I could name things my mom named them for me. Like my first doll, Lilac. Why was it named Lilac? What if that's what my mom wanted to name me and my dad changed the name? (much like Susie who was supposed to be Shireen until my dad won the debate. Sorry if this is news to ya Suz.) Am I living a lie? What if my name is really Lilac G? That would super suck.

And my first teddy bear. Its name was Garp. I never knew why, but then my mom told me it was because she'd just finished reading The World According To Garp. Fine. but why implicate me with a fabulous but disturbing John Irving novel? At the age of, oh, one? To clarify she let me know that it was because she had read it to me WHILE I WAS IN THE WOMB. (Some things explain so much.)

But me, there was apparently not much to my name. No good notations in the baby names book on my parents' shelf (yes, I looked). And to tell you the truth, I'm not even sure how much she likes lilies because she has this ridiculously plush garden and not a lily to speak of! As I write this, I have no idea how I turned my no-story name into a college essay. I wish I could find that admissions essay -- I'm sure it was a magnificent piece of bullshittery. I've saved some old hard disks in the hope that I'll find it someday so I can revel in my own brilliance. Will keep ya posted.

In the meantime, continuing on the theme of moi and my name, I have decided to go narcissist for Halloween. I will be a Tiger Lilly. Roar.

***
ps. Jon (ahem, Jon Yang, author of the Rough Guide to Blogging) just taught me how to bold. I will no longer have to use * to emphasize words I want you to pay extraspecialattention to. This is a whole new world . I figured that one out myself! Oh, this could get ugly.

7 comments:

jon said...

Learn to bold, italicize, link, and so much more by reading (and loving) "The Rough Guide to Blogging".

Impress your friends, or make some friends, with the techniques this eye-catching volume will teach you. Never be lonely on a Friday night again!

This message has been brought to you by the blogger fairy.

"It's not a how-to, it's a why not!"

Anonymous said...

http://www.wordpress.com is your friend.

jon said...

oh, use this baby name thing that shows you how popular your name is.

http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

Anonymous said...

reasons i would shoot down all these baby names due to what they remind me of:

1. Lux. Lux Interior, lead singer for the unfortunately named band The Cramps.
2. Evangeline. Evangeline Lilly. everyone would think she was named after the actress, but hey, Lilly. i just found a picture of her walking around in her underwear in Lost, whoa maybe i should watch that show.
3. Aiden. whatsherface's boyfriend what gets steamrolled in Sex in the City, although i like that actor a lot, same guy that played Chris in Northern Exposure. but still.
4. Madonna. ultimate star-chaser baby name, immediate disqualification.
5. Mateo. Julio Mateo, middle reliever for the Seattle Mariners. this one's not too bad actually, though rather ethno-centric.
6. Maradona. one of the ultimate prima-donna athletes of all time, plus a major cokehead, instant disqualification.
7. Milan. great author but most would think of the city, and kids should never be named after cities (see Hilton, Paris). moving on.
8. Lilly. a great name and i've known a couple of nice people with this name, so this is the only one what passes muster.

thanks for playing. :)

Anonymous said...

every single one of those names sounds like a drag queen's, except yours and 'aiden' which just sounds like a kid you want to punch in the face.

Anonymous said...

i mean only 'aiden' sounds like a kid you'd want to punch in the face, though sometimes 'lilly' evokes that urge in me as well. j/k!
worse revelations for me, by the way, were when i opened the aforementioned name book on the parent's shelf and saw in big letters:
SUSAN: means lily
SCREW YOU, NAME BOOK.

phat tony said...

I miss you.

I miss you like the deserts miss the rain.