Up yours.

Dear readers, find solace in the fact that I"m watching something new today. You know when something is so good that you're already recommending it before you've even finished it? Yeah, that kind of good.

Susie recommended a British documentary series to me -- the "Up Series". The first film is 7Up and then it keeps going (7 plus 7). The filmmaker interviewed a random assortment of British kids back in '64, when they were 7 years old. My observations are as follows:

*It is possible for a 7 year old girl to sound like Queen Elizabeth when speaking. (this observation was enhanced by her placement amidst an offensively ugly -- even in black and white -- chintz armchair) Likewise the little boy in the sweater and tie will sound like Henry Higgins.
*It is also possible for a 7 year old British kid to be more eloquent on national welfare than the current sitting President. (I know, low standard. Just go with it.)
*I heard what might be the best reason against marriage, one boy stating "well, what if she cooks something i don't want to eat? I don't like greens. but what if she cooks greens and wants me to eat them?" so simple, so true. ah, recognizing the difficulties of compromise. don't eat greens for anyone, kid. i can't wait to see 49, where he's probably miserable and married. This is going to be a riot.
*Not all British kids liked the Beatles. For an engaging critique of how their haircuts suck and they could make better music, one need only watch the first 5 minutes. These kids get right to the point!

I wanted to see the movie because Susie told me it was good, but now it has me thinking. I know, God forbid. About how people will turn out to be like based on their childhood interests or comments. Or are the seeds of their personality in there already? How much can people change? How much do we grow up past the stupid things we did? Or the open-minded things we felt or said? Needless to say, I'm spending part of the evening very, very glad that there wasn't a camera around when I was 7!


Disclaimer: watching this documentary will make you speak with an affected British accent. no, not "make you want to". You will. Cheerio!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to collect some royalties:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2PcJZM3yLs