This Rocket is Dedicated to You





Happy New Year!

Background Noise: The sound of the documentary "Why We Fight". At the moment, an angry dad is trying to get his (slain) son's name put on military equipment being used in Iraq, ideally a rocket.

Despite the gravity of the documentary, I decided I can't put off blogging a moment more. 2008 is already escaping me!

First, let's recap 2007. Think of it this way: this year I didn't send out holiday cards (the artist formerly known as Christmas cards). And since I'm single, none of you received a color-xeroxed letter from me about the highs and lows of my child's year and my husband's stellar career. So let me put them here (at least the things I can remember).

THE YEAR IN REVIEW.
a newsletter.
by me.

*Low Points*
Pele. I still miss him. Deeply. It's a big low point, and perhaps so distracting that I can't even think of more.

Stressing out about turning 30. Feeling like I had to have it all in order- the career, the love life, the future goals and aspirations.


*High Points*
Making friends with Toby, my parents' new dog. Now he cries when my special ring comes on at my parents' house. If he had a special ring, or if he could make phone calls, I would feel the same.

Not sending out a holiday newsletter or strange holiday photo of my family sitting in a pose you'd never find us in, namely matching outfits.

Following through on all of my resolutions (ok, most of them- there were a lot!) Everything from making a triumphant and devoted return to my yoga practice to learning to drinking less pop, etc.

Learning to cook (another resolution!) and loving my new hobby.

Going to Turkey, somewhere I've always wanted to see.

Going to one of the most beautiful weddings I've ever been to in my life (atop the highest point on Santorini island in Greece).
Going to a few different weddings where I could just genuinely be happy for the love other people have in their lives.

Getting caught up on film history (another resolution). Finally seeing Citizen Kane! (and yes, I loved it. And is it me or was Orson Wells kinda hot?) Other favorites: PARIS, JE T'AIME, the 7up series, Bad Education (by Almodovar), Fidel (by Estela Bravo).

Reacquainting myself with television. LOST brings the masses together!

Reading as many books as I could. Less than previous years, but books that stayed with me for a long time and are on my favorite books ever list, namely ON BEAUTY by Zadie Smith, EAT PRAY LOVE by Elizabeth Gilbert, SPECIAL TOPICS IN CALAMITY PHYSICS by Marisha Pessl, ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AN ORDINARY LIFE, and WHAT IS THE WHAT by Dave Eggers. This year I got to share my love of reading much more with people, especially Susie (who has reclaimed her position as the only person who deserves frequent flier miles from the library).

Getting the surprise of my life in the form of a 30th birthday party. I did a kegstand held up by the other 4 members of my family and I got pushed in the pool. I loved it so much that I didn't even mind the bronchitis that trailed for a month thereafter.

Applying to business school for an MBA completely last minute and impulsively (read: 2 weeks before the deadline), being sure it as too late to have a good application, getting in.

Met some awesome new people who have become close friends or just people who restored my faith in humanity. They don't read my blog (that I know of), so no need to flatter them here ;)

Getting that butterfly tattoo I wanted!

Impromptu trip to Vegas. As in "can we go tomorrow?" One of the most fun weekends I've had in Las Vegas.

All in all, it was a good year. Crazy optimist that I am, I'm looking forward to 2008. I would put my resolutions here, but then you'll make fun of me! Anyway, there's nothing juicy. Stuff like trying to walk errands if I can avoid driving, becoming a better listener (don't try and use that against me; it won't work), giving back to the community much more, etc.

So, back to my movie: why DO we fight? Maybe in 2008 it will stop. (Like I said, always an optimist.)

And for the record, the butterfly tattoo was a joke. I can't believe you bought that! Go directly to Pacific Beach, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you jump high.......... in heels. You jump high, in high heels. Why do I suddenly feel like Dr. Seuss?

You could theoretically say I stalked you from Friendster and followed the provided URL all the way to your blog. The fact that you kept one inspired me to cut, paste, click and read. I am glad I did.

I wouldn't be telling you the truth if I said your profile picture is what instantly attracted me to you, as attracted as one can be with a luke warm laptop on ones thighs. Your blog, howvever, got me to the point of this comment.

I just can't believe you mentioned latin freestyle. I have a playlist full of TKA, Judy Torrez and the like. Who among us did not use Aqua-Net?

So yeah, I know. Random thoughts. But you're still reading.... I hope. Try E-mail and I promise never to leave a message better intended for electronic communication on your blog again. behindthewall07065@yahoo.

-Anthony

Anonymous said...

Apparently, I need an editor or should have added the "Comment on Blog" tase to Franklin Covey for tomorrow morning. I always seem to think I'm witty when I'm tired.

What I MEANT to say was:

I wouldn't be telling you the truth if I said your profile picture wasn't what instantly attracted me to you........

What I actually said was incorrectly stated and sent the wrong message.

Furthermore, I do not believe that you have a big belly or a small penis. Mostly, because you dont look like the type of girl that would have a penis or a big belly and partially because I just don't want that to be true.

P.S. http://profiles.friendster.com/18278496