Me, as cliche.

I almost rented 27 Dresses this weekend. Despite that I'd wanted to see it and that I'm already racking up wedding invites for 2009, it seemed apropos. I did not, however, rent said film because:

1) I can't stand Katherine Heigl. I've never seen one of her movies, and her interviews and glossy mag persona don't really make me want to.
2) Dan had told me it was bad
3) Even I can't overcome the incredible cliche-ness of a single girl renting 27 Dresses alone on a weekend.

So I didn't. Instead, this afternoon I watched The Lady Eve, an old film with Henry Fonda and Barbara Stanwyck. The cool thing about old films is that you get sucked into the era. For a little while you (here: me) can forget the recession, forget the new products innovation paper you need to write, forget the bills that need to be paid, and forget that you blew off working out yet again. I watch old films and I get nostalgic for eras I was about 30 years off even having a chance to experience! I think the old film star I most identify with is Katharine Hepburn, who happens to share my Nov 8 birthday. The more I watch her, the more smartass and not-typical-feminine, but sassy she is. I have never been a proper girly girl (although my attempts with makeup would suggest otherwise). She just offers an alternative approach to being a woman while not being manly, and she always gets the guy :)

In other news, I had a debate with myself today. I'm trying to figure out at what point do you let the burden shift on being in touch with people? I always keep up with everyone- I still email and call with elementary school friends, high school friends, college friends, you name it. When do you stop carrying the baton? I realize that, while people love to hear from you after years, they suck at initiating or keeping it going. So do you just let it go? Should I send out a "notice of potential termination"? (Jon: Tact papers?!?!)

Dear XXXXX,

It's been great being friends with you. We really had some great times doing ___________________________. However, the older I get, the harder I find it to keep in touch with people I don't see regularly. I'm sure you feel the same way! Basically I just wanted to gauge where you were on things. How about, unless you initiate regular communications via ( ) fax ( ) phone ( ) email ( ) smoke signal ____________ times per year , then I'll stop nudging you with my Facebook one-liners and holiday cards. Sound fair?

Thanks! Hope all's well! ___________ forever!

____________________
(signee)

3 comments:

jonyangorg said...

When I return we will draft 10 TACT papers, one of mine will be "You're being LAME (in your shut-in relationship): It's not personal, just thought I'd tell you."

People need our services. We could make a whole line of greeting cards. Maybe Susie can draw them.

Anonymous said...

i kind of liked 27 dresses, it was a light movie. rent it with mom.
i can't believe you haven't seen 'knocked up'!

Anonymous said...

I will never admit this to you or our friends but I actually really enjoyed 27 Dresses when I caught it on HBO. Definitely a cliche flick but Judy Greer is the sarcastic savior and the Benny and the Jets scene kind of got me. "I cried like a baby at the Keller wedding." Bye manhood, I'll miss you...