Forward my mail to the office...

Does anyone know for sure what the definition of a workaholic is? I'm afraid I've become one. I was worried it would happen if I went to the big firm life; you know, that the only man in my life would be the kindly office janitor, that I'd fall asleep drooling on important discovery paperwork, and wake up with a Bates stamp date on my forehead.

But here I am, self-employed and living that same crazy life. Minus the hives I got when I was pre-trial at my old firm. That was just gross.

I mean, as far as this potential workaholism, I'm kinda afraid and... kinda... proud (?!?) of it. I mean, I got a LOT done this summer. But where did my summer go? I didn't TOUCH the ocean water. I complain about saline nasal drip, but really, I wouldn't have minded a bronzed back from surfing and just a *bit* of authentic drip. I live in friggin California, and I haven't been to the beach. I'm hoping to pencil it in for later this weekend, but I could always cancel on me.

Here I am, 12:50 -- A.M. -- blogging. It's what I'm doing to "unwind". I'm a loser of proportions Doogie Howser couldn't even begin to imagine (he was the root of blogging as far as I'm concerned, and Jon, I want that in your book!). Why blog when I can barely keep my eyes open? Well, truth be told, I've been sitting in front of this computer for so long that I can't be troubled with getting up and out of this chair. I've actually thought I might be able to roll myself over to the bed and then just lean over to sleep.

So where is the line? Workaholic? Devotee? Passionate entrepreneur?

I think I'm just driven right now. I want to sign off the computer at 10pm, but I decide to do "just one more thing" and end up typing away for a few more hours. I blow the whistle at 1am these days. My eyes pop open in the morning and it doesn't even feel like I slept. (Side note: they pop open and I can see across the room. Let this be my 3-months-later endorsement. I HEART LASIK!!!)

Actually, the only reason I'm posting is because I'm sick of Gerard Depardieu being the first thing people see when they open my blog.

Goodnite.

0 comments: