Moths: The Saturday Thoughts of Lillymonster.




Ok, so if butterflies are what you have when you have happy tingles in your stomach, what is it when you have that pit feeling? Let's call it moths. You know when you have that for no good reason? So annoying. I mean, I can think of reasons, but it sucks because it's so beautiful out and it should be against the law to feel like this on a beautiful SoCal day! Write your congressmen, people!

Possible sources for aformentioned icky sentiment:

1) The fact that it's gorgeous out and I'm inside working. Everyone in the greater county of San Diego is at the Gay Pride festival today. I'm tucked away in a cafe, far from the sounds of Erasure's comeback tour.

2) The fact that I'm back from vacation and the real world has reapproached me.

3) The fact that I drank a cup of coffee this morning that I didn't want but ordered out of age-old habit at Big Kitchen (often misidentified as "Big Momma's". There is no scientific reason for this misnomer, but apparently I"m not the only one to occasionally slip).

4) The fact that I didn't sleep very much. Being a newshound, I dreamt about plane crashes. Repeatedly.

5) PMS. I used to think this was made up, minus the cramps thing. But the going-crazy-super-sensitive-Kodak-commercials-damn-that-Butterfly-kisses-song-thing is apparently also true.

6) My friend texted me last week that she was in line for pizza behind my not-very-nice ex. I forget about him until someone brings him up. Blah. He doesn't deserve good Chicago pizza!

7) The fact that last night a guy struck up unsolicited conversation with me to the tune of "you have beautiful skin... no really... like a young asian boy." I wish I could say he was joking. Mr. Internet Sex Offender clarified in case I wasn't sure "like a 9 year old from Thailand or something." Ew. I wish I could say this crap happens to all women, but further investigation shows that it's really just me. I'm alone. Me and the freaks.

8) My gray hairs are multiplying. I have like THREE now! At the rate I'm stressing I fear I'll have stripes a la Lily Munster by the time I turn 30.

9) Which is not far away.

Reasons to be happy:

1) I am not friends with the tall blond drunk girl who was running through Envy last night yelling "We're gonna drop it like it's HOT y'all! We're gonna DROP it like it's HOT!"

2) There was no glass in my breakfast. (I'm just saying.)

3) I don't have any terminal diseases (that I know of).

4) It is a beautiful day out.

5) The fact that the last time I saw Mr. Ex Boyfriend he was wearing a gladiator costume. Not on Halloween, either. ("Poetic Justice, table for one?")

6) Punny is in town. And she's very funny not to mention an incredible partner in crime when it comes to sake bombs.

7) Jessica put a magnet on the fridge that says "everything will be fine in the end. If it's not fine, it's not the end." Being who I am, I had bought a magnet for her at the same time. But that one says "It's better to have loved and lost than to live with the psycho for the rest of your life." Ok, that really did just make me smile.

2 comments:

Karen Fisher-Alaniz said...

Hi Lilly- I've been reading your blog but haven't posted a comment yet. I see that you will be in Seattle on July 26th. That's sure a long trip to take just for coffee. You might want to consider stopping by the Pacific Northwest Writer's Conference. But seriously, I look forward to meeting you.

-Karen

Anonymous said...

Roomie! You freaking crack me up. I'm sitting in my office (which by the way has no window), looking up words like "stenosis" and "thrombectomy" in my medical dictionary, while only looking at the corners of the pages lest i see a disgusting picture of a decubitus ulcer or something that makes me want to barf. every few days i take a break to read your blog and i seriously have to shut my door so my uptight co-workers cant hear me laughing... god forbid... we cant bill for laughing! anyways, are you sure that the blonde girl running around in the club wasnt britney spears- sounds like her.