Resolution Schmezolution




So this year I tried to give up a few things, but they haven't quite worked. To wit:

1) Horoscopes.

I had an astrology reading by phone at the end of last year with someone who came highly recommended to me. Some of what she said was so dead-on that it made my hair (hairy arms) stand up. However, some of what she said just didn't make sense to me. She said that I would be starting graduate school but not finishing, and that it was a bad time in my life to start. And she said that I should avoid doing business or getting involved with Aquarius people at all costs.

So of course I get to school and who do I fall for? An Aquarius. I actually debated not dating him for this reason. I mean, is there a power higher than astrology? Oh wait, yes there is, and it's called common sense. I quickly learned that I have to take my decision-making out of the hands of Astrologyzone (which has promised me wads of money for years now) and random psychics.

Or maybe I just really wanted to date him. In any case, I know she was wrong on this, I've never been happier with a guy. (author omits extended and mushy musings about her boyfriend for sake of reader non-barfosity) I mean, can we really say that ALL Aquariuses are alike? People born within the same 4 week span differ, sorry. Bleh on astrology, you lost me there.

Plus she told me I wasn't REALLY a Scorpio, but a Libra. And to read Pisces' horoscope instead of mine. That's just too much work yo.


2) Meat.

I tried so hard. I gave it up. I barely even ate fish, which I loved. I cooked tofu this way and that. I even slowed the amount of milk I ate. I found new comeraderie with Susie G. and I discovered new cuisines and restaurants I adored. I even changed my screensaver to that Peta sticker that says "I AM NOT A NUGGET!" I read books about being vegetarian, I bought the supplements, I lectured other people, you name it.

But deep inside, something didn't quite click. I fell off the wagon in a big way and haven't quite climbed back. I love what vegetarianism stands for most of all, and I want to comply again, but I was left just feeling bloated and not devoted enough to the cause. It's easier to eat on par with your partner, so I guess there was a social element there too. Is there a support group out there for lapsed veggies?

3) Swearing.

I'm happy to report that I'm actually doing quite well on this. My mom pointed out that my language had gotten a bit, well, less than classy. I've really tried to curb this. I know it must have REALLY bothered her if she took the time to lightly remind her grown daughter of her language, so I don't want to think about how rampant it must be. Granted, it's a trying time to be sweet-tongued... what with the Palin Situation. But that's another post for another day. Mom, cover your ears!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Palin/McCain fiasco has upped my swear-o-meter tenfold. I think all dirty mouthed folks should get a pass for this case.